Wednesday, October 28, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine

To get the vaccine or not, that is the question. I was so against the vaccine and I told everyone there is no way me or my children will be getting it. I was listening to the news and not one doctor was against it,but they are doctors, of course they are going to "recommend" it. The one side effect that stood in my mind was the chance of paralysis. The chance was one in 1 million but there is still that chance. The fact that it is a new vaccine is scary in itself. I just didn't know what to do. These sorts of pandemics are nerve racking and put you in positions you just aren't sure of. Who wants to be injected with all sorts of nasty things? But do these nasty things protect you or harm you?
There was a flu clinic in Raymond yesterday that started and 12:00pm and ran until 6:00pm. I initially wanted to get the regular flu vaccine along with my children. I got there at 11:30 and the line up was already down the sidewalk. I still wasn't sure if I was going to get the H1N1 vaccine. I started to think of the health of my children and the chances of them getting H1N1. The chances are pretty high according to the Health Region. Do I decide not to get the vaccine and take my chances of them getting H1N1 and the consequences of the sickness which could be possible death? Or do I decide to get them the vaccine and see if there any consequences to that. It is really a sticky situation to be in. In the end I decided to get the H1N1 vaccine as well as well as my children. I did figure the consequences would be worse to not get the vaccine. It made my decision a whole lot easier when I saw a respectable doctor and his family from Raymond waiting in line to receive the vaccine also. It was a nightmare experience waiting in line for 4 hours but I know that I made the right decsion for my family.
I have to tell Ava's experience. My sister Kerrie came with me to help with the children. We told Ava she would be getting a needle and it would feel like a little pinch. I would give her little pinches to prepare her and she laughed each time I did it. She was actually excited which was strange to me, I figured she just didn't get it. There was screaming kids everywhere but I don't think she was paying attention to that. Finally it was our turn after a four hour wait. She sat on my lap, pulled her sleeve and gave the nurse a smile. I looked at Kerrie in disbelief not knowing what was going to happen next. The nurse cleaned her arm with a swab and gave her the needle. Ava just sat there and gave a little chuckle and turned over to receive the next needle. She reacted the exact same way. I was so proud of my little angel. Then it was Jaxen's turn. As I was holding Jaxen I was looking at Ava and she didn't look so well. She was getting more and more white by the second. She looked sick, so I told Kerrie to take her to the bathroom incase she decided to throwup. When Jaxen was done, I went to get Ava from the bathroom but a Nurse was walking out with limp little Ava in her arms. My heart dropped as I followed them to the couch in the back of the room. After a little juice and rest Ava was ready to go again. I was the exact same way when I was little so maybe it runs in the family. It's just different when it's your little one instead of yourself. No side effects from the injection yet and lets hope it stays that way. I am not trying to promote getting the drug so please nobody think that I am. It was a hard decision for myself but I decided it was the best decision for us.

1 comment:

  1. It is a tough decision. There are risks either way. I think everyone has to trust their own gut on whether its right for their family or not. I'm not completely against immunizations but have decided its not right for my family at this time. I feel good about my decision, and as long as you feel good about yours, then you made the right one!

    Oh Ava! She's so funny. But it would have been very scary to see the way she reacted to it. I'm glad that all is well!

    ReplyDelete